Was; Re: mesa-lib, now mums the word

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 19 18:33:35 CEST 2012

On 06/19/2012 10:39 AM, v4hn wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 06:57:44AM -0400, Dennis Veatch wrote:
>>> Because people tried to outsmart just you, you know.
>>> It's not like we miss developers or something..
>> Outsmarting me is not a hard thing to do. In the seven or so years
>> of being involved with Lunar I have never known us to be over
>> flowing with devs.
>>
>> ElAngelo and Moe spent a lot of time getting XOrg into shape.
>> ElAngelo has complained in IRC about others dicking around with it
>> and not staying with the general framework he and Moe created. So it
>> seems to me it is those that modified their work are trying to
>> outsmart him and themselves.
> @ElAngelo, Moe, Dennis: Is there some documentation on that general framework?
> Modules keep changing and new developers do version bumps,
> so if they need to know some things before bumping X modules, then
> we should tell them, instead of discouraging them from doing updates.

The intent is not to discourage, simply take a bit more responsibility
before making the changes AND after with the perspective of not
*expecting* others to fix your foul up.

> As far as I can tell zbiggy wrote most of the current mesa-lib/BUILD
> and I think he normally does quite a good job for example.

For a while now yeah he has been dealing with most of it and mostly
doing a good job. This thread started asking why are drivers with their
supporting libs/apps being forced upon the user.

>>> Why don't you provide/submit/commit a patch that works for you
>>> and removes some of the weird logic from BUILD?
>>> I'll gladly push it to moonbase, if you submit it or send it via mail.
>>>

>>> v4hn
>> Here is a better idea; let the one(s) that made the commit fix it,
>> or is that to much to ask?
> which commit exactly btw?
> In my opinion the policy should be: if you find a bug you should at least
> try to fix it and - given you can't fix it for one reason or another -
> write a mail to the mailinglist and explain your problem with fixing it.
>
>> I see Auke is still waiting for a answer to this;
>>
>> http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/lunar-dev/2012-June/007539.html
>>
>> If the dev that made the commit is not willing to fix even such a
>> simple thing, then why should I spend my time wiping their arse.
> I just answered auke on that one and it took me 2 minutes to look it up.
> As you dug it up, it would have taken you about the same time to understand
> the reasons behind that commit, as it took you to look up the link to aukes mail.
>
> Florin did nothing wrong here, so there is nothing to "fix".
>
> I don't know for sure, but I don't think this has anything to do with florin,
> so I don't understand your reasoning.
> Btw: you could try to use sand paper for wiping if that makes you feel better.
>

> v4hn

Ok, so Auke starts a thread asking why the commit-er made a change. The
person responsible for the commit does not respond. So I should use MY
time to divine why the change was made? Here's a better answer; the dev
the question is directed to should use *his* time to explain and *not*
require others to go off on fishing trips.