mesa-lib

v4hn me at v4hn.de
Tue Jun 19 16:39:41 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 06:57:44AM -0400, Dennis Veatch wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 03:32 AM, v4hn wrote:
> >On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 05:47:38AM -0400, Dennis Veatch wrote:
> >>So again I'm back to the question; why are you making me install
> >>that crap when I don't want any of it?
> >Because people tried to outsmart just you, you know.
> >It's not like we miss developers or something..
>
> Outsmarting me is not a hard thing to do. In the seven or so years
> of being involved with Lunar I have never known us to be over
> flowing with devs.
>
> ElAngelo and Moe spent a lot of time getting XOrg into shape.
> ElAngelo has complained in IRC about others dicking around with it
> and not staying with the general framework he and Moe created. So it
> seems to me it is those that modified their work are trying to
> outsmart him and themselves.

@ElAngelo, Moe, Dennis: Is there some documentation on that general framework?
Modules keep changing and new developers do version bumps,
so if they need to know some things before bumping X modules, then
we should tell them, instead of discouraging them from doing updates.
As far as I can tell zbiggy wrote most of the current mesa-lib/BUILD
and I think he normally does quite a good job for example.

> >Why don't you provide/submit/commit a patch that works for you
> >and removes some of the weird logic from BUILD?
> >I'll gladly push it to moonbase, if you submit it or send it via mail.
> >

> >v4hn
>
> Here is a better idea; let the one(s) that made the commit fix it,
> or is that to much to ask?

which commit exactly btw?
In my opinion the policy should be: if you find a bug you should at least
try to fix it and - given you can't fix it for one reason or another -
write a mail to the mailinglist and explain your problem with fixing it.

> I see Auke is still waiting for a answer to this;
>
> http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/lunar-dev/2012-June/007539.html
>
> If the dev that made the commit is not willing to fix even such a
> simple thing, then why should I spend my time wiping their arse.

I just answered auke on that one and it took me 2 minutes to look it up.
As you dug it up, it would have taken you about the same time to understand
the reasons behind that commit, as it took you to look up the link to aukes mail.

Florin did nothing wrong here, so there is nothing to "fix".

I don't know for sure, but I don't think this has anything to do with florin,
so I don't understand your reasoning.
Btw: you could try to use sand paper for wiping if that makes you feel better.

v4hn