me no rtfm (prefers girstickenpoken)

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 26 11:22:01 CEST 2011

On Monday, April 25, 2011 06:36:26 PM Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
> > Florin's udev bump to 168 broke my box. Looking at this superficially
> > and just noting what happened and this box configuration;
>
> I fixed other issue udev 167/168 connected, it may fix this one.
> Do lunar update - lunar-init will be updated.
> lin -w 168 udev and reboot.

Check. Though lin -c lunar--init shows this error;

Preparing to install lunar-init
+ calling "lrm --upgrade lunar-init"
+ updating lunar state files after module removal
Removed module: lunar-init

Failed to get D-Bus connection: Failed to connect to socket
/org/freedesktop/systemd1/private: Connection refused

But it does install.

> First there is no error message about /run/udev not being writable in udev
> 167/168 - you will see it only if init scripts messages move over screen
> slowly during boot.

Scrolls by to fast to see. However, towards the end there are errors such as
asound.state no such file or directory and others because the /var that is used
is not the /var that should be mounted. As such not all the directories are
present for applications that I have installed, such as ConsoleKit.

> Second udev 168 did not mount all partitions except / and swap.
> This fix also fixed this for me.

Same here... except the following has not changed. Again here is my setup;

/dev/sda1  - swap  <-- mounts
/dev/sda2 - /boot  <--- does not mount
/dev/sda3 - /        <-----  mounts

/dev/sdb1 - /home  <---- does not mount
/dev/sdd1 - /var      <---- does not mount

Not sure which systemd file tells it to mount all partitions/devices before
moving on.

> Now udev 168 works for me on 3 lunar machines: desktop/netbook/vmware.
>
> If patch is correctly applied after boot you will not see /dev/.udev
> directory anymore.

udev now resides in /run

> have a nice day,
> Zbigniew Luszpinski