[Fwd: Re: submission apr-util.patch was rejected ]

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 25 10:06:45 CEST 2011

For info for the rest of the lunar devs...

Me to Christian/wookietreiber in private email:
> This is to notify you that your submission "apr-util.patch" was rejected
> because it is possible to build the current apr-util without expat.
>
> However, as far as I can see, there is no option for --disable-expat or
> --without-expat, so there is no way of building apr-util without expat
> if you already have expat installed. But if you first 'lrm expat' it
> is possible to build apr-util without expat.
> You can use 'lvu links apr-util' to check.

Christian/wookietreiber:
The main reason why I set expat to required instead of optional is that
apr-util actually needs expat -- that's why there is no '--disable-expat'
or '--without-expat' flag. In apr-utils configure script I found:

  --with-expat=DIR        specify Expat location, or 'builtin'

which means: "either use system expat or apr-util will compile its own
version", which is included in the tarball (apr-util-1.3.10/xml/expat/).

I made a lot of texlive submissions fixing basically the same thing, so
modules like these two won't build there version of libraries we provide
in moonbase -- this saves disk space as well as compile time, because the
included library won't have to be built.

Another reason is that expat will propably be lin'ed on every box anyway,
since 'lvu eert expat' even on my minimal box shows amongst others dbus,
fontconfig and Python which are pretty common.