[Fwd: Re: lunar-1.6.4-alpha3-x86_64.iso issues]

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue Sep 16 23:29:49 CEST 2008

v4hn wrote:
> ev'ning,
>
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 07:24:37AM +0200, Stefan Wold wrote:

there will always be discussions about this, but give the following facts a good
throught:

1) SuSE dropped reiserfs support a long time ago completely and went back to ext3
2) all major distros ship ext3 as default filesystem
3) all netbooks currently being sold (10s of millions this year!) use ext3

I do not see a compelling reason to provide a kernel for NEW installs that BY
DEFAULT supports a filesystem that 99% of new users (my personal estimate) will use.

Those frostbitten dead-cold corpses with their tongues stuck to reiserfs (sorry, I
can't resist) can still rebuild the kernel and install fine. I even added a
warning to the ISO install code to warn them that they should do so (before you
get to the kernel option even), so that problem is also clearly addressed. If that
warning does not work then we should fix that.

Stop saying that 'a lot of people disagreed'. That is nonsense. You don't hear the
200+ million (wild guess) happy ext3 users complain. Now _that_ is a lot of people.

Auke