[Fwd: Re: lunar-1.6.4-alpha3-x86_64.iso issues]

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 15 15:53:10 CEST 2008

>> Hmm this seems odd, do you mean that re-assigning a partition cause it
>> to not show up in /etc/fstab after first boot? But the installation
>> still succeed?

> No, the installation failed. I mean after choosing reiserfs, then
> realizing I would need to do a kernel recompile during the install to
> make them built in. I stayed in the partitioning menu, unassigned them,
> chose ext3, but they did not get mounted, so the install failed since
> it had no place to put the files.

IIRC, when I installed 1.6.4.alpha2, the step where you associate file
systems with partitions was very sensitive to the order in which I did
it. If I went back to a partition I had previously assigned to check or
correct it, the other partition names were lost. Or something like that.
I remember that I couldn't proceed until I had corrected it and I could
only correct it by redoing all of the assignments in the correct order
without any mistakes. So it may be that there is some general screwiness
in that part of the installer. Or it may be the PEBCAK effect.

D.