[Fwd: Re: lunar-1.6.4-alpha3-x86_64.iso issues]

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 15 16:04:59 CEST 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008 09:53:10 Duncan Gibson wrote:
> >> Hmm this seems odd, do you mean that re-assigning a partition cause it
> >> to not show up in /etc/fstab after first boot? But the installation
> >> still succeed?
> >
> > No, the installation failed. I mean after choosing reiserfs, then
> > realizing I would need to do a kernel recompile during the install to
> > make them built in. I stayed in the partitioning menu, unassigned them,
> > chose ext3, but they did not get mounted, so the install failed since
> > it had no place to put the files.
>
> IIRC, when I installed 1.6.4.alpha2, the step where you associate file
> systems with partitions was very sensitive to the order in which I did
> it. If I went back to a partition I had previously assigned to check or
> correct it, the other partition names were lost. Or something like that.
> I remember that I couldn't proceed until I had corrected it and I could
> only correct it by redoing all of the assignments in the correct order
> without any mistakes. So it may be that there is some general screwiness
> in that part of the installer. Or it may be the PEBCAK effect.
>
> D.

Naw, I don't think it is PEBCAK. Once the choices have been made AND do not
alter them by reassigning a different filesystem, the partitions will get
mounted. It is only when changing them does things get hosed. It isn't you.
The logic should be able to account for alterations once the initial choices
have been made.

--
You can tuna piano but you can't tune a fish.

http://www.lunar-linux.org/
It's worth the spin.