[Fwd: Re: lunar-1.6.4-alpha3-x86_64.iso issues]

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 15 15:13:14 CEST 2008

On Monday 15 September 2008 01:24:37 Stefan Wold wrote:
> Bah to early in the morning, didn't notice the to for lunar-dev so I
> never did reply to all ;)
>
> /Stefan

Ok, that would be great.

> > Along that same topic. I think to force a kernel rebuild to get them,
> > lessens the ability to use the ISO as a recovery tool. But that is just
> > my opinion.
>
> Recovery should however work fine even the filesystem drivers are
> compiled as modules.
>
> > Now to the main issue. At the partitioning phase, not knowing reiserfs
> > would require a kernel rebuild, I had to go back and choose ext3. Well, I
> > could go through the motions of selecting the partition, choosing ext3,
> > and all appeared normal. Until it got to the installing part. None of the
> > partitions were mounted and the install failed.
>
> Hmm this seems odd, do you mean that re-assigning a partition cause it
> to not show up in /etc/fstab after first boot? But the installation
> still succeed?

No, the installation failed. I mean after choosing reiserfs, then realizing I
would need to do a kernel recompile during the install to make them built in.
I stayed in the partitioning menu, unassigned them, chose ext3, but they did
not get mounted, so the install failed since it had no place to put the files.
The tree under /mnt does not get mounted, to be precise.

It works fine if you do not decide to change filesystem type one selected.

> > There is one other thing. When you first arrive at the partitioning menu,
> > it shows you the current filesystem of the partitions. Right now, after
> > choosing the partition, making it / (as an example), and choosing the new
> > filesystem you want it to be. When you arrive back to the partitioning
> > menu, you are shown the device, that it will be /, and the size. It would
> > be great if the menu also showed you the filesystem you have selected.
>
> Good feedback, I think that should be easily fixed.
>
> > Oh, and one other item. The iwl3945 needs the ipw3945-ucode. Though I am
> > not for sure if we can include that on the ISO. But at a guess, our lead
> > developer might be able to work out that issue for us.
>
> The source for iwl-3945-ucode and iwl-4965-ucode should be on the iso,
> so even without network you should be able to run lin iwl-xxxx-ucode.

Ah, I see now. They are in /var/spool/lunar and just need a lin. Probably
should make note of that in lfirsttime.

--
You can tuna piano but you can't tune a fish.

http://www.lunar-linux.org/
It's worth the spin.