[Lunar Linux 0000198]: rarpd - broken url

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 16 17:10:24 CEST 2007

On Saturday 16 June 2007 10:59:56 am Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
> >> -still can not be compiled due to libnet-1.1
> >>
> >> How about making /opt/legacy/lib dir and keep there all old libraries
> >> needed by old apps? The BUILD config could point to these legacy dir for
> >> apps which can not resist updated libraries.

> >  dveatch - 06-16-07 16:35
> > No. That is not the right solution for libnet-1.1. The problem here is
> > the very same issue with the dsniff. There is a rift (AFAICT) between the
> > libnet and libnids authors..... *that* is where the build issues need to
> > be resolved *first*, not creating some legacy install directories.
>
> OK. I will leave it 'as is'.
> dsniff and other projects using old libnet seems to be dead and we can not
> expect the necessary author fixes to be done someday. The chances that
> someone will take over development are none.
>
> As for dsniff I had to use it yesterday. Instead of fighting with libnet I
> installed ngrep and tcpdump. Very good replacement for sniffing.
>
> zbiggy

I check in on dsniff, libnids, libnet every once and a while. I had found a
webpage some time back detailing the rift between authors, though I cannot
find it atm. These build issues with rarpd/dsniff has existed for well over 4
years and I highly doubt any of it will be fixed by any of the authors.

I am of the mind to move dsniff and rarpd to deleted-modules. As far as I can
recollect, no one has ever complained about either of these two modules
failing a build..... meaning it seems not likely anyone is or has used them
except for when they were initially imported to moonbase.
--
Dennis
You can tuna piano but you can't tune a fish.

http://www.lunar-linux.org/
It's worth the spin.