More git news

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Sat Dec 1 01:06:58 CET 2007

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> Am Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:07:34 -0600
> schrieb Terry Chan <tpchan at comcast.net>:
>
>> Yes, the mailing list commit messages are being worked on. Yes,
>> you're also able to view the script yourselves and make diffs/patches
>> to the script.  The unmodified script is part of the git-1.5.3.6
>> tarball in the contrib/hooks/post-receieve-mail file.
>
> Update: I've written a new script from scratch which produces commit
> mails similar to how our old SVN hook script did. The main difference is
> the subject line. According to Auke and the 'manpage' of git-show on
>
>   http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-show.html
>
> it is quite common in the git world to enter a title line for each
> commit, separated from the rest of the commit message by an empty line
> inbetween (see section "Pretty Formats" on the git-show website). Thus,
> the commit mail script will pick the first line of your commit message
> as mail subject.

and, if you really only need one line to describe the change, you can omit the
body message and just be done with the subject line.

I encourage everyone to use this method as much as you can.

Also, if you can, please start the subject with "module: ", so that in one
eyeblink everyone knows what was affected by the change clearly:

good examples of commit messages would be:

  xfwm4: fix composite being enabled all the time

  xorg7: update all components to XOrg-7.4 release

  ALL: remove formatting style errors

you're then free to include a lengthy body in the commit message if you wish to
include more information.

Cheers,

Auke