More git news

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at lunar-linux.org
Sat Dec 1 02:49:07 CET 2007

Am Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:07:34 -0600
schrieb Terry Chan <tpchan at comcast.net>:

> Yes, the mailing list commit messages are being worked on. Yes,
> you're also able to view the script yourselves and make diffs/patches
> to the script.  The unmodified script is part of the git-1.5.3.6
> tarball in the contrib/hooks/post-receieve-mail file.

Update: I've written a new script from scratch which produces commit
mails similar to how our old SVN hook script did. The main difference is
the subject line. According to Auke and the 'manpage' of git-show on

  http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-show.html

it is quite common in the git world to enter a title line for each
commit, separated from the rest of the commit message by an empty line
inbetween (see section "Pretty Formats" on the git-show website). Thus,
the commit mail script will pick the first line of your commit message
as mail subject.

The rest works as usual, just commit as much as you wish locally and
when you finally push out your changes, one mail per commit will be
generated and sent out to lunar-commits at lunar-linux.org. That's it.

Additional, you probably won't see mails with a subject like "Merge
branch 'master' of ssh://lunar-linux.org/var/git/lunar/moonbase"
anymore. The script filters these auto-generated revisions already.

Hope this makes things even more enjoyable!

  - Jannis