[Fwd: Module submission - kernel-reqs]

Jerry Lundström lundstrom.jerry.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 10:36:04 CEST 2007

Hey all,

I have to raise this concern. Does the current kernel-reqs really work?
My point is that it doesn't since we force an update of that module via
the kernel modules after its compiled (not rebooted) the update will be
made for the old running kernel and not the new one.

I know there isn't any really good solutions to this problem, I can only
come up with two options and they both ain't the best.

1. Only recompile the modules that actually support specifying kernel
version to compile against.
This will correct the modules that support it but will leave all others
broken.

2. Make some kind of recompile-on-boot thing in lunar that (doh) will
recompile the modules after you reboot in order to make them work with
the new kernel version.
This will fix all the modules we have in kernel-reqs right now but it
ain't pretty at all...

So what you think?

/prox