2.6 Kernel with inotify patch

Moritz Heiber moe at lunar-linux.org
Thu Oct 14 17:08:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:54:39 -0500
Nick Hudson <nhudson at lunar-linux.org> wrote:

> Yeah something will need to be written up about migrating over.  I
> believe that udev needs to be the defato standard for the 2.6 kernel,
> so we will need something to help the noobs and well everyone migrate
> over.  Waiting to 2.6.9 is fine, and I think also once we get there we
> might need to stop updating to rc kernels everytime they are
> released.  Is that planned or are we still going to be seeing rc
> kernels?  If the linux-2.6 module is going to be stable then I would
> strongly suggest that we stay with the stable kernel.

Please read up on the kernel scheme mail Jaime wrote earlier .. he
explained it fairly well and in debt.

Also .. this might not be in your or the Gnome user's interest but I'm just
going to apply the inotify patch to stable kernel releases. Moreover, I'm
not going to hold back kernel updates due to non-released inotify patches.
The linux-2.6 module is ment to serve a stable 2.6 kernel and no Gnome
gimmick kernel ;-).

Regards,

Moritz

PS: Personally, I think that tying a graphical environment so tightly to
the kernel and several other (yet) unsusual system services is 'a bad
idea'(tm). But that might be just me again ..