udev support

nestu nestu at lunar-linux.org
Sat Aug 7 16:37:18 GMT 2004

Hi again,
New release. Thinking about backwards compatibility, it
supports defaults. If no dev=[udev|devfs|static] on cmdline,
it works with these defaults:

kernel 2.4.X :
	if you tried to boot udev, you are a blueyes: Warning msg.
Falls through to the next 2 options.
	if you have devfsd, it will try to boot it. If not, you'll
get a msg and it will fall through.
	if you don't have devfs, it supposes you have a static
/dev. Will try to boot from there.

kernels 2.6.X :
	if you have udev installed, it will try to boot from it. If
not, it will fall through.
	If you have devfs installed, it will try to boot from it.
If not, it will fall through.
	if you have none of the above, it will think you have a
static /dev.

This default behaviour can be overrided from cmdline very
easily:
lilo: add append="dev=$YOURCHOICE"
grub: on 'kernel' line, after the kernel's image placement
add "dev=$YOURCHOICE".

I could swap devfs and udev for 2.6 kernel, since devfs is
currently mostly used, and later, swap them back when udev
is more broadly used. But, I must say, I am against this. I
prefer the 2.6 lusers getting used that they'll use udev in
the future. IAC, if they don't want udev, just don't install
it, and it will boot from devfs anyway.

This script has been tested on 2.6's kernels (udev on 'me
ol'daddy's boxen', and devfs on a 2.6 devfs install inside
qemu from 2.6 iso), and on a 2.4 devfs (Terry's 1.4.0 iso)
qemu install. All booted fine, AFAICS. You can always say I
am wrong! (I'm sorta expecting it, really...) I must admit
that at least the msgs and the tabbing needs some polishing,
but I think this is a good step forward.

Okay, so ppl aren't very happy playing with their boots. Do
like me and just test it in qemu, for example ;) Hell, if
you test you own box, just backup your current
/etc/init.d/mount, change for my script, and if you have
anyproblems, just boot the iso and put the old one back (I
did it quite a few times debugging on my dad's box! ;) Harmless.

Thanks,
Jaime ;)))

P.S. You are better off reading the whole lot, since it is
quite changed, tabbing of the script included.
--
Lunar Linux		http://www.lunar-linux.org
XFce Desktop		http://www.xfce.org

QOTD:
<Fuzzbox> "Lunar dev looking for a pretty girl to show her
the stars"

QOT?:
<Veerappan> also, i'm upset.  my roommate's treadmill is too
short.
<Veerappan> another foot, and my bike would fit :)