udev support

Nick Hudson nhudson at lunar-linux.org
Sat Aug 7 17:40:17 GMT 2004

I did some testing this afternoon and everything seems to be working as
far as udev goes.  Looks like all of my devices are created under /dev
correctly except for permissions.  Now I found this kind of strange
becuase devices like /dev/null and /dev/dsp are not accessible by a user
account.  Here is what the perms look like for those two:

bash-3.00# ls -la dsp
crwx------  1 root users 14, 3 Aug  7 12:29 dsp

bash-3.00# ls -la null
crwx------  1 root users 1, 3 Aug  7 07:29 null

Now what is confusing me is that if a user account is part of the
"users" group then I should be able to access it fine.  But in this case
its not working.  I went and tried changing the perms to be diffrent in
my /etc/udev/udev.permissions file and rebooted, but as you can see the
devices did not change permissions.

Overall things went pretty well.  I had to recompile my NVIDIA kernel
module with the new sysfs patch before it would work and I had to make a
change in my xorg.conf file for my mouse to read from a diffrent device.
Other than that and the perm problem all is well.  Once I can figure out
the perm problem I will start working on the dbus and hal modules then
things should get intresting.

Nick