hidden dependency for gtk+-2 ?

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 28 12:21:57 CEST 2014

I've just installed the 1.7.0rc2 ISO, run lunar update, lin XOrg7
an drivers, and while trying to lin xfce4 came unstuck at gtk+-2.

When I did this for the rc1 ISO, I ran lvu stree on all of the
modules, and built them all individually by hand so that I could
be sure that gobject-introspection didn't slip in and screw things.

This time I just let lin xfce4 run, and it obviously didn't pick
up the same optional dependencies.

gtk+-2 had a compile error:
*** Pango not found. Pango built with Cairo support is required.

which is pretty obvious, so a quick rebuild of Pango solved that,
but then I was confronted with an error about not being able to
recognise the image format for './apple_red.png' even though libpng
is installed.

This morning I've been through the 'lvu stree gtk+-2' output and
rebuilt some missing optional depends modules:

    jbigkit, tiff, jasper, gdk-pixbuf

none of which really mention png, and gtk+-2 now builds. So it looks
like there is a hidden dependency and/or the gtk+-2 configure tests
are not set up correctly.