.... about xfce.

John Ohno john.ohno at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 13:44:46 CET 2013

A lot of people like xfce because it has some large portion of the
look-and-feel and featureset of gnome while being far smaller and far less
of a PITA to build/debug. After all, the big desktop environments (gnome,
kde) are as big or bigger than the entire x stack, and have often been
modified heavily by distro packagers. Part of the lunar philosophy has been
not to patch things; any bug in the original source should be reported
upstream to the people who caused it, rather than having distro maintainers
have their hands in elbow-deep in huge codebases they don't really
understand -- and a fresh build of gnome can trivially be completely broken
without patches. (I recall building gnome for lunar about six years ago;
everything worked except for icons, all of which came up as the 'unknown
filetype' glyph. This wasn't for lack of an iconpack; instead, it was
something more complicated. I ditched it in favor of e16.)

I don't personally use xfce because it's too heavy for my uses. But, it's
far lighter than gnome & kde, and it's a good choice if you want something
that superficially resembles gnome & kde (in other words, if e16 scares you
because of the lack of a start menu and you can't make heads or tails of
windowmaker/afterstep).

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 1:49 AM, Jean-Michel Bruenn <jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de