Installation attempt.

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 18 09:38:01 CET 2013

> I made an attempt to install Lunar yesterday!
> Here is a quick report.
>
> 1.       I could not find lunar-1.6.5-rc1-i686.iso.bz2

Welcome to Lunar.

Lunar is a source-based rolling distro, and Yes! it is possible to install
from the 3-year old 1.6.5 ISO, you will need to be a Linux uber-wizard to
navigate through all of the package reconfiguration and rebuilding that is
required to bring the system up to date.

The reason is that the 1.6.5 ISO is now seriously out-of-date, and there
have been significant changes to several critical packages, and one small
slip during the upgrade process will render your system unbootable!

If you really want to try Lunar, you should go to the #lunar IRC channel
and ask about the current development ISO, and hope that someone can hold
your hand as you go through the installation process. Note that this is a
work in progress, so there are still some wrinkles to be ironed out.

Otherwise you could wait for the next official release, but that will be
on a "best effort" basis, so there's no promise of a date, because Lunar
developers have full-time jobs and real lives...

To answer your other questions about the 1.6.5 ISO:
- The 2.6 kernel is ancient, but you would be forced to reconfigure and
  recompile newer kernels during the update process;
- At that time, LILO was stable for both 32- and 64-bit installations
  whereas GRUB was not. IIRC, the GRUB2 source is on the ISO.
- There are Lunar devs who use and support XFCE and KDE, but although
  several devs have tried to keep GNOME up to date, everyone gave up
  because it's just such a PITA to build and maintain on a rolling basis.

D.