packaging system

Jean-Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Mon Nov 18 07:42:46 CET 2013

> .... yet another question.
> I usually do apt-get install to get things from repositories.
> I know there are other systems like this on other linux-es.
> Lunar uses lin.
> Is it something specific to Lunar only?
> Can I still use apt-get on Lunar along with lin?
> Will I be able to have access to all sorts of repositories?
> Lunar, Debian, Ubuntu, Red-Hat, etc?

Many questions. To answer your questions:

Yes
Not that I know of
No?
No!

apt-get is something debian specific. Distributions which initially
forked/have been based on debian or their package management used
apt-get. It might as well be that some distributions, for
compatibility, offer apt-get functionality. Lunar is not based on
Debian.

Also: I think Lunar is the wrong distribution for you. Don't get me
wrong: You're looking for apt-get functionality, which means you want a
system which installs precompiled-binaries and which takes all the
various decissions for you because you don't have time nor the
knowledge to answer those.

See: Lunar is different. It won't assume what you want, it will ask
you. You can pick the default answer if you're unsure, though. Lunar is
also not just unpacking some pre-compiled binaries on your computer -
Lunar is compiling them on your computer. Which is why Lunar has never
been and will never be a distribution for beginners (yes, installing
and working 10 years with ubuntu does not make you a professional).