Is this the right place?

Dave Brown dagbrown at lart.ca
Thu Nov 14 05:42:17 CET 2013

Did you...just send mail to a Linux mailing list using Outlook?

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 03:55:19AM +0000, Wolf, Robert (ext) wrote:
> Hello there....
>
> I am just wondering if I have found the right place?
>
> Here is what I need:
>
> 1.       Much better (than Ubuntu) control over a linux-based system.

That wouldn't be hard to accomplish, pretty well any Linux distro which
isn't Ubuntu gives you more control over the system.

> 2.       Much better control over what I have or haven't installed.
> 3.       At the same time access to all vital programs, such as GNOME,
>          browser(s), email agent and C/C++ compilers.

Of course all of that stuff is available.

> 4.       .... And of course, Stellarium.

    :) [~] lvu from stellarium
    moonbase:/var/lib/lunar/moonbase/kde/qt4-apps/stellarium/

I guess that answers that.

> 5.       Ability to have all the necessary drivers (currently for 64-bit Lenovo laptop).

That depends on the kernel I guess.  I haven't had anything not be
supported on a laptop running Linux for ages though, but then again, I
don't buy Sony laptops.

Yours is Lenovo so it'll most likely be okay.  Which is probably why you
got a Lenovo in the first place.

> 6. Linux From Scratch may be a bit too complicated for me, so I am looking for something similar but easier to handle.

Well, that's certainly why I use Lunar.

> So, the question is, did I come to the right place?

Maybe.

> Will Lunar cover my needs?
> I probably could figure-out all the answers, but, I guess it might be
> quicker just to ask.

The best place to ask is actually #lunar on freenode.  But be aware that
Lunar's a small distro with not many developers working on it, and we're
scattered far and wide when it comes to time zones, so answers might not
be as quick as you'd hope.

--Dave