Using CDN's to cache source downloads?

Jon South striker at lunar-linux.org
Tue Jun 28 03:00:25 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 16:56, Auke Kok <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:

> I've been messing around with some new plugin ideas, and I came up with the
> idea to write one that makes lunar fallback to using a CDN for failed
> downloads. This would provide a great extra mirror service at almost no cost
> to implement to us (and, coral CDN already does this for free for anyone).
>
> Here's how it works:
>
> 1) we "seed" the CDN.
>
> Basically, we run a script daily on a machine that finds all the compatible
> URL's in moonbase, and goes and tries to "download" these URL's through the
> CDN. After that, the CDN has a cache, and anyone can, at a later stage get a
> copy through the CDN.
>
> We don't need to actually download the entire thing to seed it. Just doing
> a "HEAD $URL" is enough to make the CDN get the file for us, so this is
> extremely efficient.
>
> 2) we add a plugin that downloads the source through the CDN instead of
> directly.
>

> I already wrote the plugin, and a basic seeder. I'm wondering if people
> think this would be useful or not. Also, it's entirely dependent on the
> reliability of the CDN itself.
>
> Ideas? feedback welcome. See attached code for details.

This looks pretty cool, but is this allowed by coral's usage policies? Funny
enough, their Usage FAQ is currently not responding (is it not on a CDN?).
Also, would the CDN be tried first, or as a last resort? I think speed and
reliability of the CDN could make this flip-flop a bit.

I wonder what it would cost to run a caching mirror via Amazon S3 or some
other comparable CDN? Maybe we could get one going?

-Striker