Does kaffeine works for you?

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 24 03:30:24 CET 2011

On Sunday, January 23, 2011 08:17:42 pm Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:

> > > So instead of using XINELIB alias kde, kaffeine, phonon should use
> > > xine- lib as dependency. The only penalty of downgrading to xine 1.1
> > > is lack of vdpau.
> > >
> > > have a nice day,
> > > Zbigniew Luszpinski
> >
> > That would deny those desiring to use vdpau because of one upper level
> > application. I am a bit confused why you are in favor of breaking a KDE
> > audio backend that cascades to one of its base modules unable to use
> > it. Additionally that bump breaks OpenSceneGraph;
> >
> > [ 38%]
> > /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c: In
> > function 'rgbout_update_frame_format':
> > /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c:2323:
> > 30: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
> > /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c:2326:
> > 30: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
> > /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c:2329:
> > 30: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
> > /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c:2347:
> > 30: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
> > /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c: In
> > function 'init_class':
> > /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c:2770:
> > 25: error: 'video_driver_class_t' has no member named 'get_identifier'
> > /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c:2771
> >
> > :25: error: 'video_driver_class_t' has no member named
> >
> > 'get_description' make[2]: ***
> > [src/osgPlugins/xine/CMakeFiles/osgdb_xine.dir/video_out_rgb.o] Error
> > 1
> > make[1]: *** [src/osgPlugins/xine/CMakeFiles/osgdb_xine.dir/all] Error
> > 2
> >

> > I don't see that as acceptable.
>
> Propose better idea. For me this is clear:
> Modules which require xine at version 1.1 should use depends xine-lib
> Modules which work with both xine 1.1 or xine 1.2 should use alias
> xinelib because no matter what user choose they will be fine (like xine-
> ui).
> Modules which require xine at version 1.2 or later should use depends
> xine-lib-vdpau because now this is genuine xine-lib 1.2 - not vdpau
> specific. -vdpau ending is just for historical reasons. Some day we could
> just rename xine-lib-vdpau to xine-lib-1.2 but having module name with dot
> looks strange. Maybe xine-lib-2 would spell better as module name.

I think the simplest solution is to revert commit
3b87489938bc2e55e289305b98d1386429f0dc3f. AFAIK there were no issues with any
modules with xine-lib-vdpau version 286. Not with kdebase4-runtime or
OpensSceneGraph. As a benefit then phonon-backend-xine will also build
successfully (when I add it to moonbase).

> Because xine-lib and xine-lib-vdpau are conflicting an user will be asked
> which one to choose when Lunar detect module conflict during install.
>
> In case phonon/kde you said phonon dropped xine in favour of gstreamer/vlc
> so warning about xine 1.2 could be ignored as legacy - it does not break
> build.

No they have not dropped it, else they would not have bothered to create a
phonon-backend-xine. They just consider xine to be um, less than optimally
maintained. Having said that they still make some effort so that kde can use
it for a backend if available.

Phonon and its backends have a detection order that goes; gstreamer > vlc >
xine. So unless you change it in systemsettings, kde will default to using the
phonon-backend-gstreamer (I will be adding that to moonbase soon).

> What do you think about this? If this is OK we can start modifying depends
> files.

I don't see how that really solves anything.

> have a nice day,
> Zbigniew Luszpinski

Dennis `stumbles` Veatch
Lunar Linux Developer