Does kaffeine works for you?

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Mon Jan 24 02:17:42 CET 2011

> On Saturday, January 22, 2011 07:43:56 pm Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
> > > Well I am not real concerned about kaffeine since it depends on
> > > kde4/base. Your xine bump is not compatible with kde (as a whole)
> > > which means phonon/kdebase4-runtime cannot use it; additionally if
> > > the current kde- beta(4.6) is any indication the same will apply.
> > > Those wishing to use the xine-backend will not have that choice.
> >
> > So instead of using XINELIB alias kde, kaffeine, phonon should use
> > xine- lib as dependency. The only penalty of downgrading to xine 1.1
> > is lack of vdpau.
> >
> > have a nice day,
> > Zbigniew Luszpinski
>
> That would deny those desiring to use vdpau because of one upper level
> application. I am a bit confused why you are in favor of breaking a KDE
> audio backend that cascades to one of its base modules unable to use
> it. Additionally that bump breaks OpenSceneGraph;
>
> [ 38%]
> /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c: In
> function 'rgbout_update_frame_format':
> /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c:2323:
> 30: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
> /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c:2326:
> 30: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
> /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c:2329:
> 30: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
> /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c:2347:
> 30: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
> /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c: In
> function 'init_class':
> /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c:2770:
> 25: error: 'video_driver_class_t' has no member named 'get_identifier'
> /usr/src/OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3/src/osgPlugins/xine/video_out_rgb.c:2771
> :25: error: 'video_driver_class_t' has no member named
> 'get_description' make[2]: ***
> [src/osgPlugins/xine/CMakeFiles/osgdb_xine.dir/video_out_rgb.o] Error
> 1
> make[1]: *** [src/osgPlugins/xine/CMakeFiles/osgdb_xine.dir/all] Error
> 2
>

> I don't see that as acceptable.

Propose better idea. For me this is clear:
Modules which require xine at version 1.1 should use depends xine-lib
Modules which work with both xine 1.1 or xine 1.2 should use alias
xinelib because no matter what user choose they will be fine (like xine-
ui).
Modules which require xine at version 1.2 or later should use depends
xine-lib-vdpau because now this is genuine xine-lib 1.2 - not vdpau
specific. -vdpau ending is just for historical reasons. Some day we could
just rename xine-lib-vdpau to xine-lib-1.2 but having module name with dot
looks strange. Maybe xine-lib-2 would spell better as module name.

Because xine-lib and xine-lib-vdpau are conflicting an user will be asked
which one to choose when Lunar detect module conflict during install.

In case phonon/kde you said phonon dropped xine in favour of gstreamer/vlc
so warning about xine 1.2 could be ignored as legacy - it does not break
build.

What do you think about this? If this is OK we can start modifying depends
files.

have a nice day,
Zbigniew Luszpinski