Does kaffeine works for you?

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 22 11:11:22 CET 2011

On Friday, January 21, 2011 07:04:33 am Dennis Veatch wrote:

> > > Thanks. Now I know my machine makes trouble.
> > > I doubt this is video driver. I tried nvidia, nv, vesa - all the same.
> > > Tried vdpau, xv, xshm output. All players work except kaffeine.
> > >
> > > have a nice day,
> > > Zbigniew Luszpinski
> >
> > OK. I found the problem: xine-lib-vdpau (which is just xine 1.2).
> > Kaffeine works only with xine-lib (xine 1.1) :( that is why it failed on
> > my machine. No patches, no development. What a pity. This is my favourite
> > app for DVB-S.
> >
> > have a nice day,
> > Zbigniew Luszpinski
>
> Your xine-lib-vdpau bump also effects phonon-4.4.3 so it will not build the
> xine backend;
>
> + Xine: xine-lib v1.1.90 was found on your system. This version contains
> major changes compared to 1.1.x and has not been tested properly for use
> with this backend.

Additionally, the same problem exists with phonon-backend-xine-4.4.4;
CMake Error at xine/CMakeLists.txt:45 (message):
  xine-lib v1.1.90 was found on your system.  This version contains major
  changes compared to 1.1.x and has not been tested properly for use with
  this backend.  Consider downgrading to version
  1.1.9.http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=9655&package_id=9732

Creating /var/log/lunar/compile/phonon-backend-xine-4.4.4.bz2

The up coming phonon-4.4.4 has split out the backends into their own; see here
for some info;

http://apachelog.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/phonon-family-4-4-4/

At this point the Phonon folks for the most part consider xine to be
unmaintained. As I understand the new detection behavior, the order of
preference used by kde is/will be;

gstreamer backend > vlc-backend > xine-backend

You will/can of course change that in systemsettings.

--
Dennis `stumbles` Veatch
Lunar Linux Developer