Broadcom, b42-fwcutter & b43-phy0 ERROR

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 5 09:05:30 CET 2011

> I am trying to set up the wifi in my laptop and I am having some
> trouble with the firmware.
> I got a Broadcom (BCM4312 802.11b/g), and I tried to extract the
> harware by installing and running b43-fwcutter. But I am getting
> the following error:
>
> b43-phy0 ERROR: FOUND UNSUPPORTED PHY.
>
> Any idea of what I am doing wrong?

I haven't got a Broadcom card, so can't give you a definite answer, but...

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_chip_types
would suggest that the card is supported but you do need to have
installed the correct firmware in the right place. could that be it?

Searching the web for your error message also shows that you can't
have both ndiswrapper and the b43* driver installed at the same time.

And finally, older forum posts suggest that [then] some models were
not completely supported, and that you might need to use the 'wl'
driver instead. There's information about this via the link above.

Hope this helps
D.