Hello world

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sun Jun 20 21:25:07 CEST 2010

> This time I will
> monitor the installation and report bugs.

Very well.

> From my last installation with newest
> ISO I remember that I couldn't compile kernel myself (when chosen, a few lines
> of text would print in terminal and got hidden by kernel installation menu
> immediately);

I remember long time ago I encountered similar bug. But it was fixed later.
Try the newest iso 1.6.5-beta2:
http://stderr.eu/files/lunar/

> later, when I wanted to re-check chosen font, installer forgot all
> my settings. I noticed this one after succesful DE installation, so now I am
> left with generic hostnames etc.

use lnet and lunar tools to set this again.

> Wiki should be filled with some info about hardware configuration. First I
> wanted to write some info regarding my hardware, as I still have to do this. I
> have some problems with my hardware as I don't know, what framework is used in
> Lunar to configure it. I mean, should I try tips working for Gentoo or Debian or
> whatever?

If another distro works on hardware you have Lunar will work too.
For network config you have lnet tool to set ip, gateway, dns.
If you do not know what hardware you have use precompiled kernel.
At least at install time and first boot.
You can always compile your kernel later after successful booting lunar.
Then your compiled kernel will appear in grub menu as second choice.
If you use settings in kernel which do not perfectly match your hardware you will end up with unbootable machine.
This would be very frustrating first meeting with Lunar which makes no sense.
The best what you can do is to choose precompiled kernel for desktop when installer asks you to choose one.
Then boot installed Lunar and take some time to learn it better.
Next read dmesg, lsmod, lspci, lsusb and /var/log/Xorg.0.log output to learn what hardware you have.
Now you can try compiling kernel from sources and choose right options.
If you end up with unbootable machine you can always come back to precompiled kernel.

In Lunar drivers are automatically detected and loaded on boot.
Read the outputs I told you above to learn what drivers are in use.
Of course there are some 3rd party drivers which need to be manually installed.
If you show me the outputs I may help you with choosing 3rd party drivers.

Gentoo, Debian or whatever other distro has proprietary tools which typical are for such distro.
On Lunar if you have Linux knowledge you can do everything. We have clean system.
People who use Lunar has great Linux knowledge. That is why we can manage any Linux.
If any tip does not use proprietary tools it will work on Lunar.

> Now I am running basic system + kde4 + chosen dependencies + flashplugin +
> opera, and I have no idea, which graphic driver is powering this. I can't run

Probably vesa which is installed by default and works on any machine.
Look at lspci and fresh /var/log/Xorg.0.log to find out.

> compositing (I don't really need it, but still miss it). Other thing is, that

In kde4 compositing effects are disabled by default. You can enable them this way:
PL
K->Ustawienia->Ustawienia systemowe->Pulpit->Włącz efekty pulpitu
EN:
K->Settings->system settings->Desktop->enable desktop effects.

I can help you with Lunar problems but this tip can be found in kde manual or easy discovered.

> "search" field in Lunar Modules site (which gives impression of engine searching
> the requested modules) doesn't work at all, and I don't feel like sieving all
> 3500 modules in search of Intel GMA driver. Also I have no idea, how to make KDE

All modules are stored in /var/lib/lunar/moonbase directory.
You can search it using mc or find/grep command.
You can read what a module does by reading DETAILS file in module's directory.
Or lvu info <module>

The module name you are looking for is: xf86-video-intel

> ask for password, when changing system wide settings, so I can save them. Such
> things should be pointed in Wiki. Even if it means copying text from other

In kde3 there was such feature. kde4 does not have such option yet.
Use root account to configure system wide settings.

> distros' Wikis. I, and many others, treat Wiki pages as first info source. It
> should be there. I, for instance, don't like documentation in form of example
> files, as it can be very confusing (that's why I resigned from Gentoo, where I
> had no idea, how to make my Broadcom wireless run with KNetworkManager.

We are too small community to make wiki for kde or other tools. kde has its own wiki.
If you have problem with kde read kde wiki and docs or use F1 key to open manual, Co to jest?/Waht's this? button for small help.
You have also Help/Pomoc menu in every kde window. In terminal there are info or man commands with help.

> So, my first proposition is such:
> 1. I kindly ask You for help configuring my hardware.
No problem send outputs and I will help you.

> 2. I write it down in Wiki.
Thanks. It would be better to write something more generic:
Just note the questions you have then answers you collected from us or the Internet.
Then write wiki. Most of our users looks to be Linux gurus so we usually do not know/can not imagine
what obstacles newbies have.

> 3. I learn ways the system gets configured.

Very well. People here usually will get mad when someone asks questions easy to answer using google or
http://www.linuxquestions.org
You question regarding enabling compositing jumps into this category.
Such questions may end up with RTFM or ask uncle google responses.

> 4. I continue to fill Wiki up.

Very well. We are usually focused on developing modules so docs are not nice thing to do.
I think the most important thing is to collect all obstacles you found using lunar.
Then fill in answers you learned. If you find any bugs we will try to fix them.

> I mentioned, that I will buy a netbook. I will treat it as experimental machine,
> where I will try to build ultimate KDE desktop. I think this will give me great
> deal of experience. I am really looking forward to it. Anyway, I still find it
> amazing, how fast I got to the core. It implies some lack of technical knowledge
> about the system (mainly about the system files), but now I feel that I would be
> able to administrate any given Linux distro with decent documentation.

Lunar is very Linux compatible. This means if any tip on net does not use distro specific tools it will work on Lunar.
At the beginning you may find it very uncomfortable not having any beautiful creators or configurators.
Later if you survive you will understand the power of Lunar is simplicity and compatibility.

have a nice day,
Zbigniew Luszpinski