Grub broken.

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue Aug 12 20:24:08 CEST 2008

Chris Andrew wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> Thanks, Auke,
>
>> root (hd0,0)
>> setup (hd0)
>> reboot
>
> did the job and it now boots.  For some strange reason I am now
> getting an fcsk error 8 on /dev/hda2.
>
> I tried /sbin/fsck -y /dev/hda2, boot it says that my superblock is
> missing or corrupt. Before I installed Lunar, I did an exhaustive HDD
> check, so I'm sure my HDD is ok.

ew. fortunately there are backup superblocks. To find out where they are, run
`mkfs.ext3` with the -n option so that it displays their location (but doesn't
actually format the filesystem):

# mkfs.ext3 -n /dev/hda2

then use fsck.ext3 with one of those numbers to see if it can be recovered:

# fsck.ext3 -b $BLOCKNUMBER /dev/hda2

warning: if the superblock is bad it's quite likely something trashed the
filesystem alltogether (like installing grub in the wrong location).

Auke

> Can anyone help me get past this?  Failing that, I will try 1 fresh install.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Chris.
>
> 2008/8/12 Kok, Auke <sofar at foo-projects.org>:
>> Chris Andrew wrote:
>>> Can anyone tell me what I should type at the Grub > prompt to see what
>>> my menu.1st looks like?
>> Ive seen this bug and it's sometimes not even needed to fix a menu.lst file. At
>> the failed boot prompt you can `reinstall` grub on the fly:
>>
>>> root (hd0,0)
>>> setup (hd0)