Grub broken.

Chris Andrew cjhandrew at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 19:32:29 CEST 2008

Hi, all.

Thanks, Auke,

> root (hd0,0)
> setup (hd0)
> reboot

did the job and it now boots.  For some strange reason I am now
getting an fcsk error 8 on /dev/hda2.

I tried /sbin/fsck -y /dev/hda2, boot it says that my superblock is
missing or corrupt. Before I installed Lunar, I did an exhaustive HDD
check, so I'm sure my HDD is ok.

Can anyone help me get past this?  Failing that, I will try 1 fresh install.

Many thanks,

Chris.

2008/8/12 Kok, Auke <sofar at foo-projects.org>:
> Chris Andrew wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me what I should type at the Grub > prompt to see what
>> my menu.1st looks like?
>
> Ive seen this bug and it's sometimes not even needed to fix a menu.lst file. At
> the failed boot prompt you can `reinstall` grub on the fly:
>
>> root (hd0,0)
>> setup (hd0)
>> reboot
>
> this will work if your /boot partition is /dev/sda and you had/want grub in the
> mbr. if the above `setup` command works then grub will find your menu.lst file
> again and hopefully it'll work
>
> if not then you can boot as follows:
>
>> root (hd0,0)
>> kernel 2.6.2x root=/dev/sda2
>> boot
>
> and then try to use lunar to fix it (lin -c grub, lin -c linux-2.6)
>
> Auke

Reasons why you may want to try GNU/Linux:

http://www.getgnulinux.org/