Problem upgrading postgresql

Richard Pyne rpyne at kinfolk.org
Fri Apr 18 16:00:42 CEST 2008

On 17 Apr 2008 at 3:34, Dennis Veatch wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 April 2008 21:05:45 Javier Adrián Ortiz de la Tabla wrote:
> > El Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:36:34 -0600
> >
> > "Richard Pyne" <rpyne at kinfolk.org> escribió:
> > > I currently have postgresql version 8.3.0 installed and when I run a
> > > lunar update I get the message "A pre 8.3 version of the database was
> > > found. You need to upgrade the data format to 8.3. Refer to the
> > > INSTALL file located in the tarball for the upgrade procedure. The
> > > install will not continue."
> > >
> > > --Richard
> >
> > You need to pgdump your database cluster first before upgrading to a
> > major postgresql release, after that stop the postgresql server,
> > then rename (or delete, but this is not so good idea) the old
> > installation directory, and finally
> > lin postgresql.
> > Here is a more detailed explanation:
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/install-upgrading.html
> >
> > Please, someone correct me if i'm wrong.
>
> The only manual intervention needed with this module is the dumping of your
> database and then deletion of the file I already mentioned. The lin process
> will take care of the rest. This of course only applies with moving across a
> major release.

Everyone who replied missed the point. I was already running version 8.3.0
yet still got the message saying that I needed to upgrade the format to
version 8.3.

The second part was that the message refers to a file inside that tarball.
If Lunar is refusing to lin the module, that would mean that I would have
to manually download the tarball and untar it just so I could get the
instructions on how to do the upgrade (if I really needed do do it).

After the I sent the original post, I discovered the third part of the
problem in that even though lunar gave me a warning message and said that
it wouldn't do the update, it did the update anyway. Had I not already had
version 8.3, this would have left me dead in the water.

--Richard