Problem upgrading postgresql

Javier Adrián Ortiz de la Tabla adriandelatabla at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 03:05:45 CEST 2008

El Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:36:34 -0600
"Richard Pyne" <rpyne at kinfolk.org> escribió:

> I currently have postgresql version 8.3.0 installed and when I run a
> lunar update I get the message "A pre 8.3 version of the database was
> found. You need to upgrade the data format to 8.3. Refer to the
> INSTALL file located in the tarball for the upgrade procedure. The
> install will not continue."
>
> --Richard

You need to pgdump your database cluster first before upgrading to a
major postgresql release, after that stop the postgresql server,
then rename (or delete, but this is not so good idea) the old
installation directory, and finally
lin postgresql.
Here is a more detailed explanation:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/install-upgrading.html

Please, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

--
Javier Adrian Ortiz de la Tabla