alsa

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sat May 12 00:07:15 CEST 2007

Friday 11 of May 2007 17:50:16 cesar l. wrote:
> My motherboard is asus a8n-vm.

I have Asus A8N-VM CSM.

The problem you have is with codec Analog Devices SoundMAX ad1986a chip.
It has nothing to do with chipset or bios. Just wait for new alsa driver. Now
search the link below for temporary fixes found by other users.

Go here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14
and search this forum using AD1986A keyword. Many people discussed the same
problem you have.

BTW However I have this codec on board it is disabled. When I bought this
mainboard on November 2005 I gave AD1986A a try. Even configured well it
sounds horrible in Windows XP and Linux too. The sound, however mostly clean
is very flat and without bass and with high frequencies cut. My analog
telephone during distant calls gives more ambience and sound richness. Just
bought cheap second hand SB Audigy2 and the difference is incredible better.
SB Live/Audigy can give you more sweets like hw accelerated OpenAL or
wavetable synth or hardware mixing. Most tools are in lunar as modules. I can
give you some tips how to make use of them. Beware of Creative cheap
imitations like SB Audigy/Live 24bit or SE/LE. Just look for real EMU10K chip
and you are at home.

BTW Update your bios. Asus has dirty acpi bugs on chip. We were flooding Asus
with bugreports a half a year till they fixed it. Without bios update you can
get occasional freezing and hung ups. USB seems to be broken before 1000
version and used to hang during transmission. S-video output is fixed at 1001
bios or later.

There is dirty unfixed forever bug is in video bios. But if you do not play
real mode DOS games you'll never see it. Dosbox bypasses this bug using its
own emulation engine. Asus is aware of this VBIOS bug but it will remain
unfixed because they do not support DOS anymore.

zbiggy