alsa

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Fri May 11 16:27:02 CEST 2007

cesar l. wrote:
> The problem is: The sound doesn't works properly.
> I have installed kernel 2.6 with alsa support.

kernel modules? grep _SND_ /usr/src/linux/.config ?

> The sound
> generally works for right channel and not left, which makes
> a constant noise. And, when I change the volume at player (audacious)
> or alsamixer, all stop and I have no sound.

sounds like a low-level driver bug or hardware problem

> I tried to configure drivers with alsaconf, but still doesn't works.
> lservices lists an entry called alsamixer, that at tries I remove it
> accindetaly. How do I get this entry again? And somebody have
> any idea about solve this problem.

`lin -r alsa-utils` might do that

> My sound card is onboard Analog Devices AD1986A.
> Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2).

what driver is that? is it known to be stable (or not?) ?

It looks like your chipset is not properly supported by the driver that you are
using, so this is very specific and probably a driver bug. You might have to go
to the proper alsa kernel developers to work this bug.

Auke