bashrc fix

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Tue Mar 6 13:47:46 CET 2007

Tuesday 06 of March 2007 05:09:26 Kok, Auke wrote:
> Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
> > lunar changelog:
> > *if PATH was exported earlier, preserve its content (e.g. /etc/profile
> > loads earlier),
>
> PATH is *ALWAYS* set earlier, e.g. cron sets it, bash itself does so as
> well.
>
> The way that you implemented this it will *add* existing values to it,
> making them appear double. that is not right.

That was my intention. Preserve path variable instead of erasing it with path
settings hardcoded to bashrc. Possible fixes:

1) If they are really double why not removing redundand path variable from
bashrc? Exporting several times the same variable renders it hard to improve
in the future (having to remember all the places where it was hardcoded).

2) To protect against double defining we could save path variable content to
file and maintain it using sed or other text editor. Everytime someone needs
to export path it could read it from file (like e.g. /etc/LOCALE). Thanks to
this I could tolerate (ugly imho) path hardcoding in many files.

3) Any other suggestions from anybody?

> > *empty LANG= replaced with real language settings,
> > If you wondered why KDE konsole ignores your correct language and path
> > settings or non US-English text looks in konsole like rubbish or crazy
> > graphics bit soup this is the right answer.
>
> NO, this is wrong.
>
> tell your Konsole to start a "login shell" instead.
>
> bashrc settings are for NON-INTERACTIVE shell settings.
>
> It's not bash's fault that konsole is retarded and assumes that "a user
> spawning a graphical shell" is not the same as "the user wants a login
> shell".
>
> this patch is not acceptable. You're fixing a problem in the wrong place.
> Fix Konsole to use .bash_profile or run a login shell instead by default.

I was going to fix the bug instead of bypassing it. Why nulling lang setting?
I understand why .bash_profile is better than bashrc. You have right. I will
investigate this and open bug in KDE bugzilla. But nulling lang in bashrc is
still mysterious for me. Possible fixes:

1) Applying patch,

2) Removing lang variable from bashrc.

have a nice day,
zbiggy