binutils 2.17

Florin Braescu florin at lunar-linux.org
Sat Feb 17 18:33:56 CET 2007

On Saturday 17 February 2007 16:47:40 Terry Chan wrote:
> Yes, there is a good reason why binutils is NOT 2.17.
>
> svn log moonbase/devel/binutils/DETAILS
>
> is your friend.
> r20669 | stumbles | 2006-07-11 11:23:21 -0500 (Tue, 11 Jul 2006) | 8 lines
>

> This downgrade is needed as it causes a glibc (nptl or not) compile to
> fail.
>
> And that's why we can't use many of the version bumps of the core tools
> from you, because your lunar box is SO non-standard.

  Yep, it's more advanced than the standard lunar (regarding the versions at
least). But alsa true it's that it's working without a glitch. I use glibc
2.5 and all the compile work flawless even with gcc 4.1.2. I just wait a 2.6
kernel based release with all these new versions committed :) I can also
remark that there are some modules not updated for a long time (evolution
2.8.3, glade 3.0.3, epiphany 2.16.3, audacity 1.2.6). I don't use any of them
and most are gnome related stuff. Maybe someone have the time to check them.
  I suspect the ppp can be updated to 2.4.4 as the new 2.6.x kernels deal with
M$oft pptp protocol native, so we can get rid of the ppp patch for this (i
can't test this too).

  Florin