problems with instalation, wget don't download from lunar cache

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue May 16 14:55:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:29:19 -0700 (PDT), Edd Budulea <e_timotei at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, in this weekend i've installed successfully lunar
> linux on my box which is a via c3 ezra based pc.
> first of all when i've went to download page, the only
> version that will work for me is lunar 1.5.1-i386 from
> torrent, after starting the torrent it will not find
> any peer to download (after 30 mins i've gave up).

yup, somehow the trackers died. you're better off downloading this iso directly anyway - there are no people seeding this iso anymore currently.

I restarted the server (slow) seeds in case anyone wants to help seed again.

> Only today i've notice a news that will point me to
> the iso on lunar site.

you mean that you missed the two 'DOWNLOAD' links right in the top of the page?

> Besides the lack of visibility of the i386 image on
> lunar site, i'd love a distribution build script or
> something (i'm planing to put lunar distribution on a
> zaurus, got a 2GB cf and the will to try).

oi that's not so easy ;)

> Anyway the road was rocky:
> -first if you have a c3, edit so that pentiumpro (aka
> i686) will not use cmov (maybe if there are many of us
> using lunar on ezra this will be an option on gcc
> install) (if you use -march=c3 it will go like i486 +
> 3dnow + mmx, so is not so good)
> -second use -Os optimization (ezra has small cache)
> 3dnow and mmx. For me it has worked with
> reorder-blocks , expesive and tracer optimizations on
> all packages.

how about c3-2 as base arch? I also thought that -march=c3 makes it compile as i586 (pentium) and not pentiumpro (which is 686, and incompatible because of the cmov instruction. On another side - you could have optimized directly as -i586 since `arch`==i586).

>     If you put -Wl,--as-needed some (3-4 out of ~240)
> packages will break because some makefiles will give
> the linker first the lib and then the object that use
> it (in gcc the request needs to be before the
> provider).

-Wl,--as-needed is dangerous and not recommended, neither is reorder-blocks, expensive and tracer. all will cause you to pull your hair out and divorce your loved ones later!

> A big problem was the fact that wget will not download
> any package from www.lunar-linux.org/lunar/cache, it
> will respond with 404, the same was for some of
> packages that were from sf.net, but other sites were
> ok. I've had to download the package from lunar/cache
> with lynx an then relin. I suspect that lunar has that
> setting for bots

no, it doesn't.

> so that wget will not be able to
> teleport the site or some other protection that should
> be disable on the /lunar folder.

actually we don't want you to download files from our main site as we do development work on it. Therefore all download requests that don't need to be served from there are redirected to one of our 7 or 8 always-up-to-date mirrors (they sync every hour). These mirrors have more bandwidth and more files.

The 404 means that none of the mirrors also had that file. that is because the /cache/ directory is in constant flux and not all mirrors fill it - for obvious reasons: the main site of that package should be working correctly anyway.

> I'd like to add that it will be very nice if all
> packages on lunar cache will be on torrents i'll
> personally will keep seeding the cache, just a thought
> (i like torrents better than mirrors).

too much work - there are over 5000 files needed to build all the 2500 packages. This will never happen.

> Beside all of that the process went well (2 days of
> compilation) and gcc-3.4 goes much faster on i686(w/o
> cmov) then i586 on ezra.
>
> If there is any interest I'll post the packages that
> have not compile on the first run.

I have safely optimized versions on my c3-2 in case you need them.

Cheers,

Auke