[1.6.0 ISO][patch] charmap not defined when loading console font(update)

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Thu May 4 00:47:37 UTC 2006

> > All charmaps are here: /usr/share/consoletrans/*.acm.gz
>
> I know where they are, that is not the problem. The problem lies in the
> code I have to write to make the menu's list them properly, preferably with
> some descriptive text about what the charmap actually is (e.g. do you know
> what iso04 is???).
>
> I do not want to maintain a list of available charmaps, it would be
> outdated quickly and increase maintenance work.
>
> Auke

These ISOs were created about year 1985 and are always the same. They will be
replaced by one ISO 10646 (known as unicode) someday in the future. The iso
charsets can not be changed. If any goverment need to change anything in iso
charset it must create iso with another number or name (and look for
agreemnet in  ISO organization). That is why nothing interesting happens in
isos above number 09 (only small changes with particular characters).

iso01 - Both Americas, West Europe, Australia, most parts of Africa languages:
French (fr), Spanish (es), Catalan (ca), Basque (eu), Portuguese (pt), Italian
(it), Albanian (sq), Rhaeto-Romanic (rm), Dutch (nl), German (de), Danish
(da), Swedish (sv), Norwegian (no), Finnish (fi), Faroese (fo), Icelandic
(is), Irish (ga), Scottish (gd), English (en), Afrikaans (af), Swahili (sw).

iso02 - Central Europe languages:
Czech (cs), Hungarian (hu), Polish (pl), Romanian (ro), Croatian (hr), Slovak
(sk), Slovenian (sl), Sorbian.

iso03 -  Esperanto (eo) and Maltese (mt).

iso04 - Nord Europe: Estonian (et), Latvian (lv),  Lithuanian (lt),
Greenlandic (kl), Lappish.

iso05 - Languages written in Cyrillic (East Europe)
Bulgarian (bg), Byelorussian (be), Macedonian (mk), Russian (ru), Serbian
(sr), Ukrainian (uk).

iso06 - Arabic (ar)

iso07 - South Europe: Greek (el)

iso08 - Hebrew (iw), Yiddish (ji).

iso09 - Turkish

The upper iso numbers repalce less important characters as euro sign or
characters rarely used. Most people know which charset is good for their
language so description is not required. In Central Europe 99% of linux users
know that iso02 is right for them. This 1% learn fast when first time install
linux and see unreadable output from autotranslated programs. Just default to
iso01 if nothing is selected or 'do not know'. If you want to add description
expand iso0? file name to full name which is better recognized by people:
ISO-8859-? All the iso charsets contain ascii basic charset so there is no
problem with reading input and displaying output of lunar scripts and English
only programs.

greetings,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski