[1.6.0 ISO][patch] charmap not defined when loading console font (update)

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed May 3 12:23:20 UTC 2006

> I would rather make it as generic as possible and include it - lunar is not
> a large group enough to sustain all sorts of offspring, and frankly it
> would be rather easy to add the charmap option to the ISO, except that the
> available charmaps are of different formats and I need to find a solution
> to enumerate them properly.
>
> Other than that I think it's a good addition and the ISO already has some
> foreign kbd/lang/font support anyway.
>
> Auke

All charmaps are here: /usr/share/consoletrans/*.acm.gz

The cp437.acm.gz is built in kernel and used by default. This file is only
provided for those who want to go back to kernel defaults after trying other
charmap.

The straight-to-font.acm.gz is autoloaded when consolechars do not find -m
<charset> option.

The rest of charsets are: iso*.acm.gz which cover all languages and all are
8bit. These maps work great with programs and scripts in lunar. I use iso02
since I used mandrake now use in lunar and always works well. This becomes
very important if LANG variable is set to Polish - the programs then are
autotranslated to Polish and gives unreadable output if consolechars do not
have -m iso02 parameter.

Additional cyrillic maps (the ISO one is iso05)
koi8u.acm.gz
ruscii.acm.gz
I do not know if these are 8bit.

I think that implementing iso01 to iso10 should be enough. The other upper iso
numbers are for future.

greetings,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski