gtk+-2.8.14 version bump

Couannette couannette at free.fr
Thu Mar 9 20:12:28 UTC 2006

Hi,

*taking a "absolute" point of view*.

If galculator depends on glib 2.x if depends on 2.x and not on 2.y.
It was written with the glib 2.x API in mind and can't, by construction, be
compatible with glib 2.y that propose a different API.
That's why major distributions continue to deliver very old libraries: to
support old application that are usefull but no more actively developped.

We can't install 2 versions of the same library into Lunar (not as Gentoo for
example, that can have a slot for each "usefull" version of a given library).

I don't say that we should by the way. Keep Lunar Simple :o)...

We just have to say, as Chan said, that upgrading this library for the sake of a
majority of application will break a small number of other.

Those application that are no more actively developped are doomed in a source
based distro like ours.

You have to "faire une croix dessus" as we say in french: you have to give up
with it, get rid of it.

Anyway if you want to use those application you have the choice to install Debian.

Regards,
Couannette