new module - seamonkey

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed Feb 22 20:37:31 UTC 2006

Hi!

In short:
Seamonkey = New classic mozilla suite with firefox engine and some additional,
new features. This module builds seamonkey in a safe way to avoid conflicts
with firefox or classic mozilla (app dirs, libs dirs, profiles, everything is
separate). Seamonkey build process is very long so be patient.

Long description:
Seamonkey is a next generation browser that is being developed by the Free
Software Community. Initially, its development was based on the last beta
version of Mozilla Web Suite. Most of code is shared now with FireFox (like
new gecko engine) but outlook and behaviour is made in classic mozilla style.
Seamonkey continues mozilla classic tradition of holding almost everything
(excluding kitchen sink :-) ). The build I use in lunar has all bells and
whistles active. If someone looks for thin, tiny web browser - use firefox.

I use seamonkey since alpha version. When seamonkey appeared in stable 1.0
version after 2 weeks of trouble free using I made module (by rewritting
mozilla one).
In comparison to old mozilla, seamonkey:
+ uses cairo library for nice page render (future 3D accel via glitz possible)
+ renders svg images ( samples here: http://www.croczilla.com/svg/samples/ )
+ remote profiles (up/down-load your profiles from net)
+ other little new things

A piece of information for non-english native speakers:
Seamonkey name does not mean ordinary monkey (as many users on mozilla forum
think) Seamonkey is small water animal. More info is here:
http://www.sea-monkeys.com/html/aboutsm/whatarethey.html

greets,
zbiggy