Module submission - acpid

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Thu Feb 16 00:03:17 UTC 2006

module name       : acpid
suggested section : utils
update (y/n)      : n
bugfix (y/n)      : n
security (y/n)    : n

This is feature add for lunar. It allows keyboard less, mouse less, something
other less box to be safely shutdown using power button on computer box.
Great feature for *less servers or if the desktop computer looks (but is not
completly) frozen (mouse or keybord do not responds).
Warning!
This feature will shutdown system if:
1. power supply is ATX
2. bios has bugless, working ACPI
3. kernel is compiled with acpi and power button support
4. acpid daemon is running

If one of these points is not met the system will power off immediatly without
shutdown! Be careful!

I use this feature since November 2005 and like it very much (especially when
keyboard freezes during hangs I can shutdown the box in safe way).
The existence of power button object can be check by browsing
to /proc/acpi/button/power/ (look for info files with Power Button text
inside)

If you do not know how to make sure if you meet these requirements do not
shutdown system using power button.

greets,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski