Old modules

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 25 12:22:42 UTC 2006

> i've seen, that there are over 800 old modules in moonbase (Updated
> 2000-2004).
> If we think we don't need [an old broken module], we would write a
> mail to the normal Maillinglist, asking who is using or needing it,

When I first installed Lunar, I remember asking on #lunar whether
there were any statistics about which modules were being downloaded.
As only moonbase is really downloaded from Lunar, and all modules
are downloaded from their own sites, there's no log file on Lunar
that can give any information on the top ten modules.

How about adding an option to lunar/theedge to send the list of
installed modules to some 'office-of-statistics' address/port at
lunar-linux.org and see what is actually being downloaded, and what
is ignored. Or, to update the core tools like 'lin' to supply the
information if an option is set. Obviously both of these need some
conscious action by the user to provide such reporting, and not be
enabled as mandatory spyware by default.

The results could be published on a DistroWatch-type statistics page,
showing number of users/downloads in the past 12/6/3/1 months.

Just an idea. I'm full of ideas. It's time for action that I lack :-)

Feel free to pick as many holes in it as you like.

Cheers
Duncan / engelsman