Auto-adding optional depends

Richard Pyne rpyne at kinfolk.org
Thu Apr 27 17:50:26 UTC 2006

Auke,

Sorry, I must have missed the original reply.

The thing that attracted me most to Lunar when I first started
using it (I think I have a copy of version 1.1 somewhere) was
the phylosophy of "choice" in that it was a bare bones system
with nothing extra beyond what was necessary to have a barely
operational system installed unless you specifically installed
it.

I can't diagree that the auto-depends stuff might be handy for
some and in some cases makes modules easier to write, it goes
against the very heart of this phylosophy. Just like I noticed
that with 1.6 Linux-PAM is now in the default install, another
example of where Lunar is moving away from the guiding
principles that made it my distribution of choice.

I just took a look at the latest version of the postfix module
(which is what I was trying to lin when I came across this auto-
depends problem) and it has been changed such that all of the
optional depedencies are through "if  module_installed" tests in
BUILD instead of actually using DEPENDS or CONFIGURE to actually
set the options. As I have time, I'll work on this and other
modules I need as time permits.

I have come across several cases of modules that have things
listed as required dependencies that are not truly required. The
applications will build and work just fine without them, but the
module submitter/maintainer has for unknown reasons made them
required.

While I greatly appreciate the work of those who submit and
maintain modules, I would urge all to give serious thought about
what dependencies are required and optional. I wish I had more
time to spend building and maintaining modules for lunar.

--Richard