Auto-adding optional depends

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Thu Apr 27 16:34:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:53:30 +0200, Moritz Heiber <moe at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:06:38 -0600
> "Richard Pyne" <rpyne at kinfolk.org> wrote:
>
>> Since I never got a response, I'll ask again. How can I turn off
>> the Auto adding of optional dependencies?????
>>
>> This is a serious problem, there are cases where you may want to
>> remove something that has a dependency in an orderly manner by
>> rebuilding the application without using the dependency before
>> removing the module that is a dependency.
>
> Richard,
>
> the problem currently is that if optional dependencies do not carry a
> modifier like ..
>
> optional_depends "module" "--enable-somthing"
> 			  "--disable-something"
> 			  "text"
>
> because there actually are no modifiers or a module picks them up
> automatically .. like
>
> optional_depends "module" "" "" "text"
>
> then the optional depedencies gets auto-added if installed. You may
> consider that a bug actually .. I, for one, find it sort of handy
> because I get asked less questions. Please file a bugreport if you
> don't see it that way.

it's not a bug - if the --disable-modifier is missing from the module then there is *no way* that you can disable it since the module will automatically pick it up. This is the only case where you are *not* asked.

if you are bothered by this behaviour then you should submit a patch or bug against that specific modules' DEPENDS file.

running `lunar fixdepends` after removing a module should also remove any optional dependency on that module and set things right for the next occasion where you compile it. Of course, since in that case the optional_depends question makes sense (module is not installed, neither did you answer the optional_depends question before with 'no) you are asked again, but now the default answer is 'no'.

after that you are no longer asked until you reconfigure dependencies one way or another.

Auke