Google summer of code

samuel verstraete samuel.verstraete at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 06:31:02 UTC 2006

I agree with Auke... i really fail to see what is driving Google other
than publicity... They're not releasing anything opensource
themselves. Untill then i, for my end, certainly don't care a **** of
this whole publicity stunt...

gr,S

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:42:18 -0700
Auke Kok <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:

> Davide "M3xican" Coppola wrote:
> > A couple of weeks ago is started the second "Google Summer of Code",
> > I suppose that everybody here know it, however the official website
> > is:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/soc/
> >
> > I would suggest to propose Lunar Linux as Mentoring Organization,
> > so to improve the current distro and to raise some money.
> >
> > I'm sure that core developers have a lot of ideas in mind to
> > improve LL, so we could discuss here several project proposal (if
> > sofar is interested and agreed).
>
> I would be willing to help out but I won't be a driving force behind
> this. This is basically what I offered to the Xfce team too and they
> got rejected for participating by google.
>
> right now I'm not very positive about google. google does this for
> google, not for the open source projects, otherwise they would be
> named sourceforge.
>
> If anyone wants to pull this then please discuss this on the
> lunar-dev mailinglist, where we can make decisions. For now, I think
> it's not worth the effort, and I'd rather concentrate on supporting
> Xfce with their 4.4 release, and starting up an x86_64 port.
>
> Auke

Research group Soil Spatial Inventory Techniques
Dept. Soil Management and Soil Care
Faculty of Bioscience Engineering
Ghent University

Department of Soil Management and Soil Care
Coupure Links 653 - Block B
9000 Ghent - Belgium

Telephone +32(0)9 264.60.42
Fax +32(0)9 264.62.47