PostgreSQL major version change to 8.1.0

Duncan Gibson duncan at thermal.esa.int
Thu Nov 10 08:04:41 UTC 2005

Dennis Veatch wrote:
DV> Moonbase has been bumped to postgresql-8.1.0. [...]
DV> To ensure data integrity you must dump the database and delete
DV> PGDATA and relin.

I asked:
me> OK, dumb question time:
me> does this mean that I - as a normal user, not a dev - need to
me> ensure that I have installed postgresql-8.1.0 before I next
me> update the moonbase?

Dennis replied:
DV> NO.
DV> It means if you do not already have postgresql installed then
DV> you need not be concerned.

As explained on #lunar last night, I had my mind on other things
and I misunderstood the original post to mean that postgresql was
used to maintain the moonbase itself, and that updating one would
corrupt the other.

But then because I had only seen /var/lib/lunar/moonbase as a
hierarchy of files, I wondered whether postgresql was used on the
developer side to generate the moonbase.

It was only afterwards that I saw the error of my interpretation.

Cheers
Duncan [aka engelsman]

"The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything"