How often to update? Was - Re: PostgreSQL major version change to 8.1.0

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Wed Nov 9 16:35:33 UTC 2005

Duncan Gibson wrote:

> OK, dumb question time:
>
>how often should I - as a normal user, not a dev - update the moonbase?

One of my teachers always said - there are no stupid questions, only
stupid answers. Here's my stupid answer to this common and smart question:

There is no specific argument for or against any time frame, however
there are some factors you might need to consider when picking an update
interval: (contradicting information following)

 o  it's no use updating every hour - there are not enough updates for that

 o  if you are running a publically accessible machine on the big-bad
internet, you might wish to keep certain packages more up-to-date than
others, to reduce the risk of a 0-day exploit hitting you. Especially
important are: apache, php, mysql, ssh, ssl, ftp. These are common
services that get exploited a lot.

 o  0-day exploits are rare, you don't need to update those packages on
the same day. Most exploits are based on vulnerabilities which are
already disclosed and patched more than 2 months.

 o  if you enjoy recompiling your box and getting the latest versions,
update daily - on average there are between 5 and 50 updates a day. On a
weekly base this is about 30 to 100 - lots of fun recompiles to watch.

 o  if you have something useful to do, we understand that. You could
update once a month to keep the list of updates short and run most of
them overnight, and tie up the loose ends in the morning.

 o  if you can't be bothered, update every 3 months and spend a saturday
doing the important stuff first, and then letting the rest of the
updates finish manually.

I personally do all of these - I pick a strategy which fits the system,
my time, etc. and try to stick with it. This means that I perform much
more updates on some boxes than the others - and I sit down and take
time to update that infrequently-updated box remotely. My desktops are
mixed-strategy: Often I just want the latest version of X, but I can't
be bothered with kernel updates: there's no real gain in updating to
every kernel point release - it's just not worth it.

What's your strategy?

Auke