Thanks (really!)

w9ya@arrl.net w9ya at arrl.net
Wed May 25 04:02:35 UTC 2005

Hey Zbig and the gang;

Sadly most of the smaller distros I pay attention to are doing the same
thing, i.e. it will be hard for you to find one that doesn't remove
contributors names. I do not pretend to understand why, as this is a
complete reversal from the policies that Linux and related software was
developed with in the early days.

Conversely the "first tier" distros like Mandriva and such ALL maintain a
contributors name for ALL contributions including changes related to
de-bugging. In fact they will *NOT* accept anything that is anonymous, nor
will they EVER strip such information.

I *think* I know what this all means, but I will leave it up to the reader
to form their own opinion.

For what it is worth, as some of the old-timers here know, my personal
decision is always to side with retaining information on who and where
changes and additions come from.

Good luck Zbig, and very best regards;

Bob Finch