ANNOUNCEMENT: lunar-1.5.0 "Indium Phosphide" ISO released

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Mon May 23 16:40:28 UTC 2005

Hello everyone!

After being in the cooker for almost half a year the Lunar-Linux Team is
happy to announce the release of the latest install ISO: "Indium
Phosphide". This ISO marks a radical change in the development of lunar
install ISO's and should be far easier and faster to install for everyone.

The 1.5.0 release is an i686 optimized iso. Work is being done on
releasing a i386-compatible ISO later on for people who wish to install
lunar-linux on older hardware. We ask everyone to be patient and monitor
progress on that specific front in our mailinglist.

This release provides the following features:

- i686 Optimized, so no need to do a rebuild after installation
- Fast installer. Typically install time can be as fast as 10 minutes on
an average p4!
- Precompiled all-purpose kernels (5) for several applications! You can
instantly install a modular GrSec kernel, a LowLatancy kernel, etc.
- Installing is done in one step, you can back out any time before that.
- Seemless lilo and grub install into the MBR

Apart from that the installer provides an easy and logical install
routine. The step-by-step approach makes sure you don't forget to set
the root password or creating ssh server keys, and allows you to
administrate services before you boot for the first time.

---

       PREVIEW

If you want a peek at the installer before giving it a try, then please
take a look at the screenshots of the installer here:
     http://lunar-linux.org/~sofar/1.5.0-screenshots/

       DOWNLOAD INFORMATION

The full ISO release information and links to the ChangeLog will be
available from the following webpage as soon as possible:
     http://lunar-linux.org/?q=node/view/18

A bittorrent is up and running, please visit the following URL for the
download link:
     http://nl.lunar-linux.org/node/7

Please try to use bittorrent before using the main mirrors if possible,
not all mirrors have the master file yet so please be patient or use the
torrent:
     http://tx-us.lunar-linux.org/lunar/lunar-1.5.0-i686.iso.bz2
     http://gbg-se.lunar-linux.org/lunar/lunar-1.5.0-i686.iso.bz2
     http://de.lunar-linux.org/lunar/lunar-1.5.0-i686.iso.bz2
     http://lunar-linux.org/lunar/lunar-1.5.0-i686.iso.bz2
     http://nl.lunar-linux.org/lunar/lunar-1.5.0-i686.iso.bz2

The md5sums can be found at the following URL's:
     http://lunar-linux.org/lunar/lunar-1.5.0-i686.iso.bz2.md5
     http://lunar-linux.org/lunar/lunar-1.5.0-i686.iso.md5

---

This ISO also changes the way we will release our ISO's. This
ISO is built with a set of portable build-tools and we aim to change
this code so that it can build installer ISO's for other platforms and
kernels, such as Athlon64, SPARC, PPC etc. People who are willing to
donate non-x86 hardware or otherwise lend time for this purpose should
contact us so we can begin testing immediately.

We hope you enjoy this new installer as much as we enjoyed making it!

The lunar-linux Project team
Auke Kok -- Lunar-Linux Project Leader