Thanks

elaine elaine at fwsystems.com
Sun May 22 11:13:19 UTC 2005

Zbiggy, ok a few thoughts on your requests/comments

Take this as a personal veiw, I'm not an active dev and haven't
been in more than a year.

First, it is questionable whether modules even qualify as copyrighted
works. Copyright specifically excludes 'listings of ingredients or
contents'. That is a pretty good description of most modules.

(And where it isn't a good description, i.e. where significant /bin/sh
logic/scripting is implemented in a module I would consider that to
be a failing either on the part of the lunar core design or of the
source authors -- bash scripting inside modules should be the exception
and usually results in hard-to-maintain modules.)

Second 'MAINTAINER's come and go. Where we have maintainers recorded in
the modules at all, often (mostly?) they are out of date and therefore
not very useful.

Now, to give credit where credit is due is a good thing, however if
you assert that a software team has a responsibility to credit your
authorshio, perhaps you should think about what this entails ... not
all contributors have the same wishes, do you really want the team
spending it's time on this?

I would argue that by default stripping the MAINTAINER field of
contributors is the correct procedure, handling all contributors'
different desires, let alone the tendency of people to come and go
simply seems to be more work than it's worth.

If you really want credit for your modules, why not simply add your
email to the 'LONGDESC' field of the module DETAILS file?

elaine

On Sun, 22 May 2005 00:57:12 +0200
Zbigniew _uszpi_ski <zbiggy at o2.pl> did inscribe thusly: