Thanks

Florin Braescu braescu_f at yahoo.com
Sun May 22 07:16:55 UTC 2005

--- Couannette <couannette at free.fr> wrote:
> I agree 200% !
>
> That's a multipath communication that could improve
> Lunar: devs or contributors
> talking to each others improving modules they take
> care off. Given that small
> "thematic" groups could *emerge* around a particular
> set of modules ;)...
>
> Example : I take care of e17 or kino. People that
> use / know theses software
> could ask me and we can talk off the list of those
> topics returning to the main
> discussion channel with improved modules / ideas.
>
> Whereas today all moonbase stuff is done by a *very*
> small group of devs that
> can't handle the thousands of modules we have.

  Well i agree with most of the facts here, but not
with all of them :) I admit that we need an AUTHOR
field in the module definition to keep track of the
original author of the module. Too many anonymous
contribution seems to diminuate the interest from the
contributors. But, being the maintainer of that module
is another story. First, devs in any Linux
distribution are elected by a democratic debate and
vote of the existing devs (at least that was my case
:D ). So, any person which want to be a dev can demand
that evaluation. Of cource, this need some work to be
done first (like contributing modules and patches, a
good relation with the devs, a persistence in using
and trying to improve the distro). Second, a
maintainer, which in the Lunar Linux case is a
designated dev, have some responsabilities versus the
maintained modules. It must assure the needed security
and stability, update the module when new versions are
released (after testing it carefully, and, many times,
asking for aproval and opinions of other devs) and
receiving and testing the proposed patches from other
devs or users of the distro. Now, when we used CVS for
maintaining the moonbase we couldn't restrict the
maintainer access to the designated modules only, so
any dev could modify any module. This can be a big
problem and can lead to abuses (there was at least a
case in the past). So, this is the main reason that
the devs group is very small for Lunar Linux. Every
dev must have a great responsability when he commit a
change in the moonbase. I don't know if we can provide
now restricted maintenance access to the moonbase
repository. I know that the main reason to use
subversion was exactly this need. We have our
benevolent dictator Auke which can light our minds in
that matter ;) I am open to make a team with any
serious and responsible man (and women :) which have a
sincere desire to improve the Lunar Linux distro. So,
don't hesitate to contact me.

  Best regards to all,

   Florin